Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Translation note on Bible verses used in my Videos

When I make the video, I often directly translate from the original-language texts as I'm reading them on computer and talking/writing for the movie. I read the original-language text in BibleWorks version 5, and often the translation made is spontaneous, as I'm talking or writing in the movie window. This means I'll use modern colloquialisms to convey the idea represented in the original-language text; obviously all the many layers of real meaning there, will not be translated. So you should look at the original text, too.

Bible uses wordplay in every word in the Word. So you have skyscrapers of stacked meanings. You detect these best by searching on the roots, for Hebrew, and comparing to the root meaning layers in the other words. For Greek, you think like a thesaurus, along similar ideas expressed by each word.

The purpose of this endlessly-multi-layered writing is to demonstrate OMNISCIENCE, so you know the text is not merely of human origin. The text itself demonstrates the Real Author behind it, first by the character of the author demonstrated (God's Character revealed): so Omniscience being one of His Characteristics, is demonstrated by the hubbing-everywhere-conceptually nature of the text itself. I submit this is the way to conclusively prove whether God 'wrote' something via human hand (not dictation but inspiration, see doctrine of Verbal Plenary Inspiration).

Sometimes there is too much text to quickly translate (i.e., when quoting many sections of John 17); so I just use a translation like New American Standard or New International Version. So if you see a difference from the Bible version you have and the video quotation, that's why.

No comments: